- 189 pages
The Story of Ancient Rome examines 2,500 years of ancient Roman history from the earliest tribal hilltop settlements to the grandeur of the mighty Roman Empire spanning thousands of miles and completely surrounding the vast Mediterranean Sea.
Experience the glorious Roman Empire:
- Glimpse the massive Colosseum in Rome that housed over 50,000 spectators, and marvel at the monumental iconic Roman arches, bridges and expansive aqueducts that conveyed water to the city from miles away!
- Behold the organization, discipline, and strength of the Roman army! Advanced weaponry, cunning combat strategy, and destructive siege machines combine to defend and expand an enormous empire with many enemies.
- Feel the political intrigue and spirit of nationalism as members of the Roman Senate, Magistrates, and Tribunes develop a system of checks and balances, law, and judicial process that paved the way for modern democracy.
- This comprehensive volume contains a detailed timeline and numerous maps and charts. Throughout the text, the reader’s attention is drawn to Latin terms and expressions that have entered the English language. Each chapter concludes with review questions, ideas for discussion, and suggestions for research and other projects.
The new edition of The Story of Ancient Rome is now in color and has been revised and expanded to take account of recent discoveries and contemporary issues of scholarly debate.
- Print softcover - with lightweight, full color pages that learners can write on!
- FlexText - an ebook that matches the print version, page by page. Ebook pages allow for highlighting and note taking. Teachers will also receive access to an Instructional Strategies Toolkit in the Learning Site, packed with activities that can be filtered by communication mode, task type, grade, proficiency level, Bloom's Taxonomy, and more.